Monday, May 21, 2007

On the other hand...

I'm out of the habit of posting, and there's not too much to write about. But okay, okay, it's been over a month.

I started knitting a little. I began a cardi from Maie Landra's new book, Knits from a Painter's Palette. I've been collecting Koigu skeins for a while, and finally broke down and bought the last two. I must be out of my mind - knitting this on size twos when my knitting time is so limited right now. A nice super-bulky sweater or a quick hat would have been more instantly satisfying, but, well, I'm in it now - literally up to the armpits.

I'm still waiting for my hand to heal. It has been eleven weeks since the surgery. I am still struggling with physical therapy, splints, braces, exercises, massage, and heat packs. Knitting has been an adventure. I've had to learn a new way to tension my yarn because some of the digits engaged doing it my usual way are out of commission. If I get enthusiastic and knit more than a few rows at a time, my little finger contracts into my palm, the middle joint freezes at about 45 degrees, and there is some pain. It can take days clamped back in the splint to get the finger to extend again. The Medical Professionals can't or won't say how long therapy will continue, if my vigilance is going to ultimately pay off - or like Sisyphus and the rock, I am doomed to this cycle of flexion and forced extension over and over again forever. But knit I will.

Okay. I'm finished whining (for now).

I'm spinning on my beautiful new wheel a lot - howzat for optimism? If I do eventually knit without restriction, I'll have lots to knit with! And I'm spinning better, too, though I'm still exploring what Hazel can do. I finished 22 ounces of charcoal alpaca, DK weight, for a sweater (pictures when it's all skeined and washed). And look at this lovely pink silk from and blue merino from Elizabeth M! I'm working on some turquoise silk now, too.
More pictures later. I promise!

2 comments:

Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your hand. I hope it gets better soon!

Sarah said...

Nothing wrong with spinning...it's like pre-knitting, and it's coming out beautifully.