Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Maiden Voyage


I finally decided to follow my friends into Blogworld. Knitting is my true passion, with spinning running a close second - and the wheel is rapidly gaining on the sticks.

I'm glad for a spot which lets me share the fabulous vistas I've discovered along this road of fiber exploration, as well as pointing out some of the potholes. Another good reason is that I don't have to be as polite here as I do on the groups and KALs. But I'll be nice - for now.

I've been knitting for six years. Six years ago, my sister was pregnant with twins. I decided to learn to knit during her eighth month. Knitter's magazine featured Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise jacket at that time. I was working out of town for a month, so I bought the magazine, downloaded instructions on how to knit from the internet, and overnighted some yarn and needles from Patternworks to my hotel. I left with two baby jackets just as the twins were born. I've been knitting ever since.


Can I lay my hands on those pictures of the newborns in their novice baby jackets now? Of course not!!

But I came across this picture of the twins wearing hat and gloves knitted by moi. They were knitted when the boys were eighteen months old. Must have been a bit big for them at the time - they were five when this was taken!

I believe the hat is a Jill Eaton design called Firecracker. I don't have any idea about the mittens. I'm just amazed that there are still four of them.

Oh - the handsome guy in the middle? The Mayor of San Francisco, Gavin Newsom. I had to ask, too. But then, I don't live in SF at the moment - I only wish I did.

Knit on.

2 comments:

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Go Jessica!! Welcome to the blogging world. I haven't been a very good blogger lately but it really is fun.
I hope your foot is doing okay. No more blocking you bad girl!

Sepp's mom said...

That's my Sis! We are so proud of her. She takes after our Mom, who did nothing in a half-way manner. So far, though, Jess hasn't bought sheep....